The Veterans Rehabilitation Programs provide funding to eligible veterans or surviving spouses for critical home repairs and improvements. The approved rehabilitation work will meet applicable housing, health and safety standards. If you are interested in applying, please complete the enclosed screening application and return it to Wanda Y. Jenkins at the NeighborWorks® Columbus office for consideration.
Once an application in received, it will be reviewed and you will be contacted to schedule an intake interview. Applications are processed in the order received. During the interview, proof of military service as well as household income and assets must be verified. Please bring the required information listed on the document checklist with you to the interview. After the interview, an inspection of your home will be scheduled to determine what improvements may be needed based on the program criteria.
Eligible homeowners can receive a maximum of up to $12,500 in assistance for the approved improvements to their owner occupied homes. The assistance is provided through a forgivable (deferred) loan that does not have to be repaid as long as the recipient remains the owner and occupant of the property for five (5) years after the rehabilitation work is completed.
Qualifications are as follows:
- Must be a veteran or surviving spouse
- Must have valid picture identification
- Must be U S Citizen and/or Legal Resident Alien
- Must be owner-occupied (No rental units) All taxes must be current and paid
- Must have a Warranty Deed
- Must have current property insurance or be able to provide it within 30 days prior to assistance
- Property must be within the county limits of Harris, Muscogee, Lee and Russell
Qualified improvements include:
exterior doors, heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems, insulation, roof, windows, low-flow plumbing fixtures, exterior ramp, sidewalk, or driveway, handicapped bathrooms, including sink, toilet, shower, grab bars, and vanities, kitchen cabinets and sinks
Other eligibility requirements:
- Retention Period: 5 years
- There are no required borrower contributions for the Veterans Products
- Income eligibility: < = 80% of the county area median income or the state median family income, adjusted for family size as published by HUD, whichever is higher
- National Guard Reservists are eligible for Veterans Products if they have served in active duty or performed services in active duty or were injured in active duty